Hello Old Souls!
Right now I’m listening to Adele’s latest album, “25.” It sells for $13.99 at most outlets, but I got it for free because I am a proud library card holder, and my local library uses Freegal Music software. Freegal Music for iPhone and Android is reason enough to get a library card. Not only can you begin streaming music for free from your local library with Freegal Music, but you can also download up to FIVE songs each week. You can even sign up for email reminders when your downloads reset, so you’ll never miss a beat. Literally.
Things To Know:
1. There is no software to download if you access Freegal Music on your computer, but Library Ideas LLC does offer a free app. Check out the Freegal Music FAQ for more information.
2. There are NO digital rights management (DRM) restrictions, so you can burn yourself a CD or stream music from your phone as much as you like, as long as it is not for commercial use. Copyright laws still apply for all music downloaded.
3. Access to Freegal Music is limited to patrons of subscribing libraries. To find out if your library offers this service just
click here: The Freegal Music Library Search
Let’s Get Started:
1. Obtaining a Library Card:
You will need one in order to explore not only digital books but inspiring films and quality music with the apps developed by Library Ideas LLC and fulfilled by free lending libraries.
- How Much Does It Cost?
The library card is free. Some services, like printing or photocopying may require additional fees in order to cover the cost of materials, but for the most part the rest of the library’s resources (including computers and internet access) are free to the public. If you return materials on time, there is not a penalty or late fee.
- What do I need to bring with me?
Most libraries require identification and proof of residency. Call ahead and find out what your local library to find out what identification you will need.
2. Find out if your library uses Freegal Music Software:
To find out if your library offers this free music streaming limited music download service click here:
The Freegal Music Library Search
3. Download The App
You can access Freegal Music unlimited music streaming service and download 5 songs each week via computer or app. The app is free and available for iPhone/iPad as well as Android. Save music you’ve collected by storing a copy on your desktop or to your iTunes folder.
Freegal Music App on iTunes
Freegal Music App on Google Play
Things To Keep In Mind:
Many libraries are still in the process of converting materials and hardcopies over to digital format. Even if your local library does not specifically use Freegal Music to stream music, it is possible they offer a similar service. Locate the help desk, inquire within, or ask the librarian.
“Knowledge sets us free, art sets us free. A great Library is Freedom.”
-Ursula Le Guin